Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mountain air, birds, bears?
July 30, 2009

7 p.m. sitting under the awning waiting for the next rain, 67 degrees and dropping rapidly. Neighbors stopping by to visit, birds absolutely swarming everywhere; I have never seen anything like this many birds in one spot. We’ve added Canada geese, blue heron, spotted sandpiper, white-breasted nuthatch, mountain bluebird, western bluebird, rufous hummingbird, American coot, evening grosbeaks, violet green swallows, barn swallows.

Last night, the temps were into the 40s, so I assure you that comforter that was put aside in Moab is back in use. There’s been a lot of storm activity, plenty of rain, thunder and lightning. When we’re at the hot springs, we see the “counter” come out and time the thunderclaps after the lightning. They get everyone out of the pools when it gets as close as two miles. Then most of us huddle in the lobby peering out the windows waiting for the all-clear.





Rowdy has really perked up in this great mountain air, went on a crazed tear throwing mice up in the air and chasing them. I guess he’s a high country cat.

Before hitting the pools, I had a super massage from the same woman who gave me one when we were here last year - Myra - and enjoyed some good conversation with her, as well.
Our only boo-boo of the day was to go off in clear sunny weather and leave the bathroom roof vent open. Had to run back out here and clean up the mess. Thank goodness it wasn’t the vent over the bed . . .

The hot springs has opened up several new pools that were under construction last summer, each one is different and wonderfully landscaped. One of the new ones had quite a water chute that I love standing directly under while the water pounds on my neck and back - fabulous!

We’re right on the San Juan River (oops, just realized I called it the Animas yesterday) so took a stroll down to the water this evening through extremely thick lush foliage and enjoyed birding and exploring there. Gotta get that fly fishing going!





We have extended our stay here through Sunday, it’s just too luscious to leave. We were originally told there was no space for us after Friday. Everything in the area appears to be very full.











I got little sleep last night because Rowdy freaked out and insisted that I get up to see whatever it was that he knew was outside. I mightily resisted but he persisted until I arose to peer out windows with him into the black night. I doubt not there was something there (he doesn't carry on at night otherwise) but danged if I could see it. I have heard today that bears come right into the park, in one case right into the neighbors' pickup bed to partake of the garbage bag carelessly left there. So tonight I have my flashlight ready; it seems it will be too cloudy to utilize moonlight.



Best menu item (at the Bear Creek Saloon & Grill): Garden burger, made with innocent vegetables enjoying the warm sun . . . yanked from the ground, tossed into a tub, beat with a stick, then crammed into yummy patties . . . served with grilled mush and onions.

No comments: