Friday, September 21, 2012

Frost, lost dog, feel-good
Sept. 18, 2012

Our view of the San Juan River from our trailer window.
The frost is on the picnic table!  Our morning low temperature was 32 degrees.  I know this because we bought a min/max thermometer in Minnesota.  This was to replace the one lost when we forgot to take it off the window where it was attached by suction cup. 

Oh good grief - in the midst of writing this 80 miles down the road, I realize we did it again; a quick pull-over and I went back to retrieve the new one off the window where it was miraculously clinging after all those bumpy miles.  At any rate, it's getting too cold for our little Totee to be out and about.


Look closely: four common mergansers are swimming along the opposite shore.
















Our route home today skips around New Mexico as we take Highway 160 to 89 to eliminate the typical traffic congestion around Farmington and Shiprock and go instead through Durango and Cortez.  I am happy to think of being home and it seems that Chris and Rowdy are in agreement.

Before we left, we reunited a dog with its owner after it led me on a walkabout in the campground.  Chris found him dragging his leash.  I had noticed him previously because of his appearance: I am not sure if the breed is a Corgi, but he was severely overweight so has a large chunky body and looks as if his feet are attached directly to his torso with no leg in between.  His elderly owner had staked him out, so he took the opportunity to escape and to explore.

We added a Steller’s jay to the Pagosa bird list this morning, and I forgot to include Canada geese.

As we wind through southern Colorado, we continue to see effects of the drought.  The San Juan was much lower than we had ever seen it: people were enjoying its 60-degree waters, if such could be enjoyed, but it was far too low for the usual hordes of tubers and kayakers.

Everything seems dry and dusty, but we don’t see as many beetle-killed trees here as we did north of Pagosa.

I forgot to write about a feel-good thing that happened when we spotted the first snow.  We pulled off the side of the road to get a picture.  Unbeknownst to me, there was a semi truck on a road below me and he evidently saw me with the camera, so stopped in order to stay out of the way of my photo.  Luckily, Chris noticed what was happening and we waved him a thank-you when he passed us.  A small gesture and so meaningful - I love making those kinds of people connections.

A run for home . . .

Chris is on a run for home today.  I was sure I had him trained better, but there were no photo opps in his consciousness this day. 

We marveled at and zipped right on by Baby Rocks, miniature but spectacular Bryce Canyon-esque formations that are even more astounding than their well-known big brother. 

We were lined up for a great shot at Church Rock in the foreground with a background of similar volcanic pipe formations, but that didn't warrant even a slow-down. 

We (he) ignored a number of great Navajo goat/sheep herds arrayed picturesquely on the prairie and slick rocks.  And he kept right on keeping on. 

The only reason we got a photo of the Little Colorado River and Cameron Trading Post is because we stopped there for gas and walked around back for a peek at the canyon.


























My final photo of the trip is of our wonderful San Francisco Peaks as seen through the windshield with the hole in it, something acquired on this journey (the windshield hole was acquired, not the Peaks - they are more like eternal). 

I remember one time when the German cousins were visiting us and Chris told Werner that the Peaks are taller than the highest mountain in Germany.  Werner was incredulous - not wanting to be impolite, he still couldn’t resist his exclamation: “It can’t be!”  But my all-knowing tour guide assured him that indeed ours is bigger than theirs: 12,635 for Humphries Peak to their highest - the Zugspitze, 9,718, which is perpetually snow-capped because of its more northerly latitude.

We are home and happy.  My intention is never to do another trip like that one - all drive and no (okay, little) stop, but I regret this one not a bit.  In fact, I am most grateful that we were able to spend that time with our family and contribute to the country’s economy in the process.

4 comments:

azlaydey said...

When I traveled to the reservations on Postal trainer business,I used to make sure that I could stop at the Cameron Trading Post for a Navajo taco.That was way back when, when they had 2 tables in the back of the trading post and no nice restaurant. Those tacos were delicious...........

Rita said...

Those tacos are still delicious!

Suzie said...

I am glad that you are home safe and am so grateful that you could be in Wisconsin with us. Love you both!
- Mrs. Nawikas

Rita said...

Thank you, Mrs. Nawikas!