Saturday, October 21, 2023

Big doin's and little

Those times in between jaunts off & gone tend to fill themselves up magically with all manner of activities - work commitments, social gatherings & projects of one kind or another.  Evidently, I have a penchant for waving that wand and oila! we are enveloped in one whirlwind or another.

As we anticipate a week away, the days prior are filled to the brim.  Reminds me a bit of my newspaper days when octopus tentacles writhed inside my brain in an attempt to keep a million bits of thought organized in some cohesive manner to insure that all things that needed doing got done at the appropriate time.

Admittedly, the current situation is of a much more enjoyable ilk, and for that, I am grateful.  Prior to the next week away (actually while riding down the highway with the Wolf Pup trailing behind), I offer a minor sampling of how the time filled itself without so much of a howdy-do from me.

There were evenings out with friends . . .

. . . Chris playing with the Aspen Creek Band at a benefit concert . . .

 . . . and along came an annular eclipse for which I had made no preparation at all, i.e. special glasses to allow viewing without eyeball damage.  Fortunately, someone at the farmer's marker loaned hers so that we could take a gander - awesome!  And then I photographed the quirky arched shadows the partial coverage made many times over as tree branches fractured it. . .



 . . . and another first: the Skull Valley Museum annual pie social.  How have I never gotten there before?!  Scrumptious pies, nice people, meeting up with friends expected and non, and a perfect Yavapai autumn day. . .


. . . with super nice music of the toe-tappin' variety, playing such favorites as The Tennessee Waltz.  That one requires that I must sing along of course, as it brings back memories of my mother in the long ago playing her guitar and singing that, Red River Valley and Beautiful Brown Eyes.  No one ever accused me of not being nostalgic.

 

The final week before departure gave way partially to the little doin's and brought the big project of the year: redoing the kitchen.

The dark countertops had already given way to stunning new granite . . . 

 . . . then off came all the cupboard doors and drawer fronts . . .

. . . while painters extraordinaire Jared & Kate took things in hand to do a meticulous job of transforming the cabinets with a lovely paint hue that complements the granite splendidly.  I cannot say enough about that delightful couple, their work ethic and their knowledge of their craft.  Ten+ stars all around!




 

 

 

. . . and the very next day, I left off admiring the wondrous transformation to head for more of Arizona's outback - sigh, it will greet me when we return.

No comments: